WInter Wonderland

WInter Wonderland
1930's Dump Truck with Plow

Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Chuck Clark and Jim Pagels


These two guys were the very first field mechanics out of the MDOT Southwest Region Central Repair Facility opened in 1996.  They set the bar for all that followed and they set it very high. Collectively they covered 10 maintenance garages over a 9 county area in Southwest Michigan. They took care of business and needed no supervision to do it.  Chuck once replaced a rear brake chamber on a truck broke down in an expressway turn around during a rain storm.  I told him to wait until it quit raining but he said "I have a rain coat".  Not many guys would do that anymore.  We did an upgrade to about 60 underbody scrapers and these two guys took care of the whole process.  Scheduling trucks, doing the work, etc.  They told me not to worry about it, they had it covered.  And they did.  These two guys were special and they were not only my employees but my friends.  I have a great deal of respect for them.  Sadly, they have both passed on albeit way too young.  I consider myself fortunate to have known them and worked with them.  I do miss them....


No comments: